Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
176 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Rash at base of penis, sensation while urinating. Redness, inflammation, and itchiness. Any suggestions?

Jul 2012
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1993
Answered : 1196 Questions
So about a month ago I was diagnosed with jock itch due to a rash underneath the foreskin of my penis. This caused a bad itch feeling, redness and inflammation, along with a slight burn when I urinated. I used a topical cream as directed and prescribed by my doctor for a week and it seemingly went away.

A few days ago I noticed a similar sensation while urinating, and developed a new rash, this time at the base of my penis. It is red inflamed and itchy. Next, a new rash formed on the side of my scrotum, it started as red, and I may have opened the skin due to scratching at it, so there was a clear liquid. Now it just looks like dry skin.

Also, there is a rash going down my inner thigh now.

I'm starting to worry a lot. Any suggestions before i go see my doctor? Any idea what it might be?
Posted Fri, 14 Sep 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 5 hours later
Hey there. Its sunday morning in india but i felt your particular problem deserved an immediate respite given your stress levels! Relax..the matter at hand is simple & easily treated. The problem essentially remains the same..a fungal infection. However, the reason for the recurrence is possibly incomplete treatment or a recurrence due to lack of treatment of fomites/hygeine issues.
Let's start at the top shall we?..First..use a cream containing betamethasone-miconazole combination apply locally for 2-3 days & stop; this will relieve the inflammation & itch. Next, change to a pure antifungal cream ..either terbinafine or ketoconazole based apply twice/daily as earlier but for a period of 10 days to 2 weeks. Third...It is best to ingest an oral medication called fluconazole 150/200 mg tabs & it needs to be taken once/week for two weeks (ie 2 tablets in all). The above may all be sourced at your local pharmacist/chemist & providing a transcript of this advice might just help, else you will need a prescription from your GP.
More importantly..treatment of fomites: wash all your undergarments in hot water at one time & dry them well in the hot sun (not indoors) & avoid using any damp clothes/undergaments; you may use an antifungal soap (2% ketoconazole based) on the groin/armpit region, leave on for 5-10 mts & wash off..twice/week while bathing for the next 2-3 mths. All this is certain to get rid of your relax the problem is simple & is easily treated. Cheers & Good luck!
I trust the above info is as clear as they come & this query will be thus closed; please do send in your valuable feedback to the site!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor