Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

Random, small, dark scabs on body, itchy. Rashes are raised and dry. What should I do?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 983 Questions
Hi i have random small dark scabs around my body and they're very itchy especially at night. I'm starting to develop small rashes around or small raised bumps which are itchy. The skin around one of my scabs is dark and dry. What should i do?
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 6 hours later

Thanks for posting your query.

There could be several causes of the rash that you are currently experiencing. These include scabies, vasculitis, eczema, etc. The exact cause can be determined only after a complete examination.

I would suggest that you can take Tablet Zyrtec 1 tablet daily whenever you have severe itching. Further, you can try applying calamine lotion on the affected area.

It would be great if you could actually upload a picture of the rash that you are currently experiencing. Also, since I believe that more information helps a physician arrive at an accurate diagnosis, I would request you to answer the following questions
a. Where did the rash start from?
b. Since how long do you have the rash?
c. Have you, in the recent past, tried some new soap/cosmetic/drug or food? If yes, did the rash appear after that?

Awaiting your reply.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Random, small, dark scabs on body, itchy. Rashes are raised and dry. What should I do? 2 hours later
Hi doctor,

I uploaded a photo of one of the rashes. One started on the right side of my stomach and it's kind of spreading out. I have had the scab for two to three weeks and the rashes started breaking out a couple days ago.

Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 5 hours later

Thanks for uploading the picture of lesion. I have through it carefully.

You could possibly be suffering from an Eczema or Scabies.

I would suggest you to consult a Dermatologist who can evaluate you to confirm the diagnosis and prescribe appropriate therapy. You could try taking the measures that I have suggested above.

Treatment of scabies would involve a drug called Permethrin, which is a prescription drug and can be obtained after consulting your dermatologist. Further, please wash all your linen and laundry in hot boiling water. Treatment of your family will also be required.

I hope, I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further questions.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
,   ,   ,  

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor