Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

Racing pulse, burning skin, bulging veins, chest burning. Can you help? History of patched hole in heart

Jan 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 1658 Questions
I have not been feeling good for about 6 month. I have a hole patched in my heart when I was 30. Now I am 53 and have started to have a racing pulse and now my skin feels like it is burning and vains seem to puff out in hand and feet. Plus there is a burning in my chest around were they cracked my chest. Plus my neck and under it turn red and feels hot. No one can figure it out. Can you help?
Posted Sat, 15 Sep 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 47 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query.
What is your present heart rate? Racing heart rate is continuous or occurring at any time during whole day.
There are 2 different thing: 1) Heart rate is >100/ bpm 2) You are feeling heart beat (palpitations).
If heart rate is >100/ bpm then there may be some arrhythmia and should be detected. If sinus tachycardia is present then diltiazem won't help.
If sinus tachycardia is present, First consult with physician/ cardiologist and try to find the cause. You should go for electro-physiological study of heart. If all investigations are normal then you should take Ivabradine 5/10mg on written prescription.
If some arrhythmias are present then it should be confirmed whether it is PSVT/ ventricular in nature. If PSVT is present then diltiazem/ verapamil/ adenosine works. If ventricular arrhythmia are present then you should take amiodarone.
As you have mentioned burning sensation in chest, do you have any gastric problems like acidic belching/ abdominal heaviness & bloating/ increased flatulence?
If gastric problems are present then you should go for endoscopy.
Turning neck red hot may suggest possibility of carcinoid syndrome and you should also go 24 hours urinary 5-HIAA test.
Put your query if you have.
Best regards,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor