Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
171 Doctors are Online

RT-PCR test for Dengue, fever, urine test negative

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 1579 Questions
My 2 yr 9mos. grandson. visiting in Phillipines has experienced fever for 2 days. A preliminary eval says "urine test" for dengue was neg. Is there such a test and if so what is reliability. His fever has broken after 24 hrs. I understand shock like symptoms are a possibility. His father is US Navy officer in Afghanistan the child is visiting his mothers family in Phillipines with limited medical resourses.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 22 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query.

For diagnosis of Dengue, urine and saliva samples can be used in cases where blood samples are difficult to obtain, such as in newborns or in patients with hemorrhagic syndromes. One can detect dengue virus in both urine and saliva samples by real time RT-PCR (Reverse Transcriptase-Polymerase Chain Reaction), but the confirmatory diagnosis is by dengue antibody serology test (blood tests).

Your grandson’s doctor might have taken the urine sample also to detect any microscopic hematuria.

However it will be better to get dengue antibody serology test done to rule out dengue completely.

Also look out for the symptoms of dengue. The principal symptoms of dengue are high fever, severe headache, backache, joint pains, nausea, vomiting, eye pain, and rash. Generally, younger children have a milder illness than older children and adults.

Hope this answers your query.

I will be available for follow up queries if any.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor