RBCs milf anisopoikilocytosis. What does it mean?

Dr. Vandana Khare

Pathologist and Microbiologist

Posted on Thu, 21 Nov 2013 in General Health
Question: XXXX aged 74 height 5"5" weight 75kg. In feb 2013 when went for medical test everything OK but in Sep 13 report detected that RBCs milf anisopoikilocytosis predominently normocytic normochromic with microcytes & ovalocytes. RBC DW sd (rdw-sd ) with 48.2 fl against XXXXXXX 46, RBD Cell dw rdw cv 16.5 % against max14.5 rest in limit in test hba, hemogram. No prolonged disease no diabetic, sugar both in urune/blodd within normal. Gall bladder removed. Nothing else.
Answered by Dr. Vandana Khare 1 hour later
Brief Answer: mild nutritional deficiency can be the cause Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX! welcome to HCM! Your report says RBCs mild anisopoikilocytosis that means all your RBCs are not of same size and shape they are of different shapes and sizes. predominantly normocytic means that most of the red blood cells are of normal size,Normochromic means that there is a normal hemoglobin concentration in most of the red blood cell. However few cells are microcytic and ovalocytes. microcytic means that they are smaller than normal and ovalocytes means that cells are larger and oval.Iwould like to know your Hemoglobin to see whether anemia is mild,moderate or severe. The most common cause of microcytic hypochromic anemia is iron deficiency, s. .In your smear ovalocytes are also seen along with microcytes that means there is a combined deficiency of iron along with vitamin B12 and/or Folate. The red blood cell distribution width (RDW) is a measure of the variation of red blood cell (RBC) volume Higher RDW values indicate greater variation in size,that is same as anisocytosis already mentioned.Futher investigations would normally involve checking serum iron and total iron binding capacity,serum Folate and Vitamin B12 levels. Cause seems to be iron and B12 deficiency. Hope this helps you! Take care!