Quit smoking. Getting lots of phlegm and have shortness of breathe. Will it be cured?

Dr. Anantharamakrishnan

Cardiologist

Posted on Fri, 21 Dec 2012 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Question: Quit smoking three weeks ago. Lots of phlegm and I tend to run short of breathe will talking. Is this a change that will end in time or should I follow up with care provider.
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 4 hours later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Congratulations for stopping the smoking. Good motivation and achievement. Keep it up.

By 3 weeks, phlegm should have disappeared / shortness of breath should not be there.
The symptoms may mean secondary infection, Chronic Bronchitis or Asthma.
You should see your doctor to make sure. Physical examination is necessary. You may need a Chest X-ray and PFT (Pulmonary Function Test / Spirometry)

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck