Quit smokeless tobacco, taking roasted fennel seeds with slaked lime. Any problem getting IVF done?

Dr. Sree Gouri SR

OBGYN

Posted on Sun, 30 Sep 2012 in Infertility Problem
Question: Hello Doctor, I am 35 yrs female. I was addicted to tobacco & gutka from last 12years. Now it is a very good news that i have quit this smokeless tobaco with my will power. After quitting this i am facing lots of problems, but i am fightting with that. I am taking rosted fennel seeds along with slaked lime. I want to know is there will be any bad side effect after this sudden quit of tobacco Because i will go for IVF next month. Pls guide..
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later

It is very good thing that you quit the tobacco.
After quitting of tobacco you can have symptoms of nicotine withdrawal.
These will present usually as dizziness, depression, mood changes, decreased sleep, head ache, tiredness etc.
These symptoms may last to few days to few weeks.
But with progression of time this symptoms will surely decrease.
You can continue the nicotine replacement product you are taking.
As nicotine can affect fertility by causing changes in cervical mucus, affecting the ovulation etc, by quitting it definitely the chances of conception will increase.
And can also risks in pregnancy like miscarriage, still birth, preterm birth etc can be prevented.
By taking some steps IVF failure can be prevented to some extent, for more details: http://srsree.blogspot.in/2012/06/possible-causes-of-ivf-failure-and.html

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.