Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps

128 Doctors Online
Owl Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 18 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Quit alcohol. Getting trembling hands. Is there any cure?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 2190 Questions
i gave up drinking and getting trembling hands. is there any solution as i have to start a new job and i am worried that this condition may effect it. please help
Sat, 22 Dec 2012 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 3 hours later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

Firstly, I appreciate you for giving up drinking and taking the initiative to seek help. You seem to be having alcohol withdrawal symptoms and if left untreated, can not only cause you ocuupational problems, but can put you at risk for certain serious withdrawal related complications, like seizures, etc.

Now, treatment for alcohol problems are usually in two phases.
The first phase is called "de-toxification". In this phase, the aim is to get the body out of the harmful effects of alcohol. This will include treatment of withdrawal symptoms, improving your nutritional status and treating medical complications, if any. There are effective medication which can curb your withdrawal symptoms and ensure that you have a comfortable withdrawal period.

The second phase of treatment is called "de-addiction". The main goal of this treatment is to prevent you from relapsing i.e. going back to your drinking. This is equally important when you are taking up a new job, since you can have a risk of relapse due to your urges or impulses to drink. For this, there are medications called anti-craving agents like Acamprosate and Naltrexone, which can help reduce these urges or impulses to drink. There are other medication called detterent medication, like Disulfiram, which can also help you stay away from alcohol. Along with medication, counselling is also essential to improve your motivation and confidence levels. There are many forms of psychotherapy which can be used in de-addiction, like motivational enhancement therapy, aversion therapy, hypnotherapy, etc. A combination of medication plus psychotherapy has been found to yield the best results.

So, please see a doctor, preferably a psychiatrist, for treatment of your withdrawal symptoms as well as to plan for further de-addiction therapy.

Wish you all the best.

- Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Addiction Med Specialist