Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
150 Doctors are Online

Pus filled lumps in the anus, fever, anal bleeding. Reasons?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 5142 Questions
I have had lumps filled with puss around my anus for 2 years. Last week, I started having blood and puss ( lots ) come from my anus when I use the bathroom . No stool, just a large amount of blood and puss. I have been getting a sick feeling the last 2 days. Any Idea what it might be?
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 4 hours later
Hi there.

Thanks for the query.

I have read and understood your problem.

You have provided very good information, but in order to suggest better I would like to know a few more details regarding your condition, hence I request you to answer a few questions about the same.

1. have had any of these symptoms, fever, chills, shivering?

2. Have you checked blood sugar, if yes, when was the last time you checked. Are you a diabetic?

3. Are you on treatment for any other problem, if yes what are the medications that you are on?

According to your description it appears like you are suffering from anorectal abscess which is collection of pus in the small areas near the rectum and anus. This may come outside by a track called fistula.

Usually multiple anorectal abscesses can form due to weak immune system, diabetes, steroid intake, treatment for cancers etc.

Kindly get some investigations done like blood work, blood sugar test, thorough physical examination by Surgeon to find out the status of these pus collections and figure out best treatment.

You should keep the affected area clean with warm clean water and keep a soft cotton roll to absorb the pus that is draining, for the time being.

Eat healthy food XXXXXXX in fibre, drink plenty of water to avoid constipation and eat plenty of citrus fruits.

Consult a Surgeon for complete checkup and right treatment.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Please do write back with the answers.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Pus filled lumps in the anus, fever, anal bleeding. Reasons? 1 hour later
Yes, I have had fever, chills and cold sweats.
I am not a diabetic
I am not on any kind of treatments.

I went to the Emergency room this morning, they would not even take my blood. They only looked at the exterior bumps, and would not do any further tests because I do not have insurance.

Prior to the start of my issues 2 years ago, I was on interferon/ ribovirin treatment for Hep c.
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 25 minutes later
Hi again XXXXXXX

Thanks for writing back.

It appears that the fever, chills and cold sweats point to the active infective process going on in your body. In this case the anal abscesses or pus collections are the reason for these problems.

You may take Acetaminophen or Paracetamol tablet under medical supervision to tide over these constitutional symptoms.

But it is better to XXXXXXX up with a surgeon who can examine you completely and start you on an antibiotic course or you might even require a small surgical procedure called incision and drainage which is the definitive modality of treatment.

The interferon treatment could have indeed caused all the problems for you as this is well known to cause suppress the immune system.

Usually the surgeon will drain these abscesses so that they will not burst or leak. Certain surgical procedures can close up these abscesses and fistulae so that there is no more of the above mentioned complaints. Also antibiotic therapy will be required to eradicate the infection.

Kindly do the needful to get the help of a Surgeon like fixing your Insurance problem so that you are problem free in this regard and also reducing chance of complications as soon as possible

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Please accept my answer if you have no further concerns.

Wishing you good health.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor