Pus filled lump on back. Using neosporin. Will it be cured?

Dr. Das Arindam

Posted on Sat, 5 Jan 2013 in Infections
Question: I'm very nervous about this open wound on my back. I was touching my back, felt a small lump and it was red, my mom said it looked like a pimple so she popped it and clear fluid came out along with blood. The next day it started healing, but in the shower the scab came off again and it seems to still not be healed. It is very red, soft, and still slightly elevated. I have been putting neosporin on it as well as a bandaid on on the bandaid comes off yellow puss. I am concerned that the area of the wound of where I had an elevated freckle. Does this sound like a pimple or something I should be more concerned about? I am terrified about skin cancer. And I also never really get zits, once and a while.
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 19 minutes later
Thank you for posting a question.

I have gone through the picture you sent. The picture indicates redness of the area and a small elevated part which you told secretes yellow pus. This sounds like infection of that particular area, may be due to bacteria. But, from the picture or the symptoms, it never sounds like skin cancer. So, you need not to worry.

But, you have to be clinically examined for presence of increased temperature in that area, and also, presence of any pus under the skin.

Lastly, you have to do a fasting and post prandial blood sugar level. Because, this type of infection is most common in diabetic persons.

Regarding medication, continue using Neosporin ointment. Along with this, you have to take antibiotic like amoxicillin / doxycycline / cefpodoxime / azithromycin group of drugs.

you have to take a pantoprazole group of drug during taking the medications as you have history of GERD.

So, consult with a general physician for clinical examination, for ordering the required investigations and also for further management considering the previously mentioned drugs.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Regards.

Follow up: Dr. Das Arindam 3 minutes later
I have been tested for diabetes before and it was negative. I think I keep Aggrivating the area by touching it, as well as my mom and boyfriend both trying to pop it. What I was worried about was it looking like a basal cell carcinoma.
Thanks for your help
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 14 minutes later
Thank you for writing back.

For your information, basal cell carcinoma usually do not occur in this area. And in that case, the lesion would be more ugly looking with absence of signs of inflammations like redness, increased temperature, pain.

So, definitely, it is an infection. still, you should visit a general practitioner for clinical examination in person.

And one more point is to avoid touching the area several times.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Das Arindam 2 hours later
Now I'm almost positive there was a raised freckle in the infected area before I " popped" it.. Is it possible to pick a freckle and have it bleed/ puss?
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 16 minutes later

Thank you for writing back.

It is not a freckle which get infected. Rather, it is one type of cellulitis like boils. It is the infection of the hair follicle or sebaceous gland. But, it may occur due to the pricking. It is possible that in early stage it was small and harmless but it has aggravated due to repeated pricking.

Regards.