Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
157 Doctors are Online

Pus filled lump on back. Using neosporin. Will it be cured?

Sep 2012
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 1416 Questions
I'm very nervous about this open wound on my back. I was touching my back, felt a small lump and it was red, my mom said it looked like a pimple so she popped it and clear fluid came out along with blood. The next day it started healing, but in the shower the scab came off again and it seems to still not be healed. It is very red, soft, and still slightly elevated. I have been putting neosporin on it as well as a bandaid on on the bandaid comes off yellow puss. I am concerned that the area of the wound of where I had an elevated freckle. Does this sound like a pimple or something I should be more concerned about? I am terrified about skin cancer. And I also never really get zits, once and a while.
Posted Fri, 4 Jan 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 19 minutes later
Thank you for posting a question.

I have gone through the picture you sent. The picture indicates redness of the area and a small elevated part which you told secretes yellow pus. This sounds like infection of that particular area, may be due to bacteria. But, from the picture or the symptoms, it never sounds like skin cancer. So, you need not to worry.

But, you have to be clinically examined for presence of increased temperature in that area, and also, presence of any pus under the skin.

Lastly, you have to do a fasting and post prandial blood sugar level. Because, this type of infection is most common in diabetic persons.

Regarding medication, continue using Neosporin ointment. Along with this, you have to take antibiotic like amoxicillin / doxycycline / cefpodoxime / azithromycin group of drugs.

you have to take a pantoprazole group of drug during taking the medications as you have history of GERD.

So, consult with a general physician for clinical examination, for ordering the required investigations and also for further management considering the previously mentioned drugs.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Pus filled lump on back. Using neosporin. Will it be cured? 3 minutes later
I have been tested for diabetes before and it was negative. I think I keep Aggrivating the area by touching it, as well as my mom and boyfriend both trying to pop it. What I was worried about was it looking like a basal cell carcinoma.
Thanks for your help
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 14 minutes later
Thank you for writing back.

For your information, basal cell carcinoma usually do not occur in this area. And in that case, the lesion would be more ugly looking with absence of signs of inflammations like redness, increased temperature, pain.

So, definitely, it is an infection. still, you should visit a general practitioner for clinical examination in person.

And one more point is to avoid touching the area several times.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Pus filled lump on back. Using neosporin. Will it be cured? 2 hours later
Now I'm almost positive there was a raised freckle in the infected area before I " popped" it.. Is it possible to pick a freckle and have it bleed/ puss?
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 16 minutes later

Thank you for writing back.

It is not a freckle which get infected. Rather, it is one type of cellulitis like boils. It is the infection of the hair follicle or sebaceous gland. But, it may occur due to the pricking. It is possible that in early stage it was small and harmless but it has aggravated due to repeated pricking.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor