Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
196 Doctors are Online

Pus filled lump appeared on nose. How to remove this?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 9400 Questions
I am late 50S and my nose tip has got larger and full of puss.??
Posted Sun, 17 Mar 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 10 minutes later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

The condition you are mostly suffering from is folliculitis of the nose. This occurs when hair follicles get infected by bacteria. It leads to the formation of a small cavity/abscess under the skin. This cavity consists of pus and dead tissue (sometimes even a small amount of blood).

Do not worry, this is a common condition and usually clears itself, without requiring any medical treatment.

But, in cases where the folliculitis is causing discomfort (pain, fever, embarrassment due to location, etc.) it is treated with antibiotic therapy. This will include a topical antibiotic cream (tobramycin, ciprofloxacin, etc.) that you can apply on your nose and a systemic antibiotic (eg. dicloxacillin, cephalexin, etc; tablet form). A short course usually helps in providing complete relief. In the meantime you could maintain good hygiene of the affected area, and even apply warm compresses to the site.

I hope this information helps. Do write back to me for any further information or clarifications. I would be glad to help. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor