Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

176 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Pus filled lump appeared on ear lobe. What treatment should be done?

Answered by
Dr. Samik Basu


Practicing since :1999

Answered : 711 Questions

Posted on Mon, 4 Feb 2013 in Infections
Question: my grandson said he didn't pierce his ear,but a hole is thru it and he had a lump below,behind it with a parcial scab in front and pus behind. i put rubbing alcohol on both and gently sqeezed the pus out of the back,then put iodine on both,followed by swelling behind the ear went down but the ear is red and more pus is forming. ifound this an hour ago.he had a flu shot fri. that bled a lot and bruised. he takes meds for adhd and ptsd.we don't have ins. or much money and really don' nee d to tell his dad.he had a tetanas?shot last summer can i handle this myself?
Answered by Dr. Samik Basu 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

Do not panic. Your grandson has most likely developed an abscess of the local area. First the redness should decrease and then the pus should come down leading to recovery of the child.

He needs oral antibiotics for at least 10 days along with good local dressing and cleaning of the area regularly. You might be able to get the prescription for antibiotic and dressing done through a free clinic near by.

Do not squeeze or tamper with that area. Give him some oral painkillers for the pain too.

If the swelling increases or the child has fever you need to see a doctor for surgical drainage of the pus.

Hope this answers your query.

Wishing your child a speedy recovery...
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on