Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
192 Doctors are Online

Purple speckly rashes under the eyes and on cheeks, pain in the arm. Due to heavy drinking?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1975
Answered : 1329 Questions
I went to visit my 18 year old son at University yesterday and he had purple speckly rash under his eyes and on his cheeks, he confessed he had been out drinking the night before (quite heavily I presume) and had very little sleep whilst out shopping he also complained of a pain in his left arm ? should I be worried or is he just burning the candle at both ends ?
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 1 hour later

Thanks for your query.

Purple speckly rash as you call it can occur when there is a lot of dilation or bleeding in blood vessels around the eyes which over a period of few days turns from red to purplish blue and then slowly subsides. It can follow a blunt injury or a very severe bout of drinking over a few days. This should clear up on its own and there is nothing to worry since you say the eyes from inside are fine.

An allergic reaction can also lead to a similar rash under the eyes. You can check with him if he took any drugs or medications especially aspirin.

Now regarding pain in the left arm, various conditions could cause this. Common would be a muscle pain / trauma. Other less common reasons would be spondylytic and rarely would be heart related.
Muscle pain will be localized and increase on pressing, shoulder and spondylitic pain will increase on movement of the part. It would not be a bad idea to check his blood pressure inspite of his young age especially if the pain or a feeling of heaviness is extending on to his chest. Pain due to the heart cannot be ruled out but is a remote possibility in his case.

You may try some antinflammatory drugs (if he is not allergic to it) and hot fomentation over the affected regions. If the symptoms do not improve, it would be ideal that you seek medical consultation from your local doctor. On the outset, I do not find it a worrying concern as of now.

Hope this answer is helpful. Should you have any additional concerns, I am available to help you further. Do accept this answer if you do not have any further queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Addiction Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor