Purple bruise appeared on thigh. No nausea or headache. What could it be?

Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta

Posted on Mon, 4 Feb 2013 in General Health
Question: i had a pretty intense flu 10 days ago, lungs enflamed throat irritated head swimming no fever, no nasal or other problems. I took an antalgique medicine to calm the suffering and it did however it gave me some emotional trauma. lots of crying, etc. Then it went away after 5 days, but I was left weak and struggling to keep working. After 2 days I developped a large circulare bruise 7 CM diameter on my left inner thigh and 3 days later a single purple spot just a centimeter in diameter appeared on my inner right thigh. The bruise appears to be healing. I have no pain, and otherwise I feel normal. No nausea or headaches, and my energy level although reduced perhaps from work stress or worry is ok. Can you please advise me, because when I look up purple spots on the internet the stories are horrific. I will go see my doctor tomorow and will have a complete blood test done, anything else?
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
There may be various causes for your bruises and the most common  causes are
Some injury on thigh
Clotting disorders of blood like haemophilia
Thrombocytopenia ( decrease in platelet counts )
Use of blood thinners like aspirin,steroids etc.
Use of certain supplements like Fish oil or ginkgo Biloba 
Lack of zinc,FOLIC acid,VIT C or VIT K
Cancers like leukaemia.

You must consult your doctor and get proper blood tests to look for the cause.
Once the cause is diagnosed,you can be treated properly.

I hope it helps however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Thanks
Follow up: Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 5 hours later
I thank you for your response.

Can you please indicate the blood tests necessary to determine some of the major problems that you indicated (leukaemia, Thrombocytopenian, haemophilia).

Any chance this could be HIV? I had an unprotected rapport in May 2012, yet was tested HIV negative in beginning of August 2012.

Sincerely,
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 35 minutes later
Blood Tests Blood tests, like a CBC (complete blood count )can detect leukemia and thrombocytopenia.A CBC determines the number of red blood cells, white blood cells, and platelets. It also can count the number of red blood cells that make up the blood sample and the amount of hemoglobin in the blood. 

A peripheral blood smear may also be done. A peripheral blood smear determines the presence of blast cells and reveals the type and quantity of white blood cells. 

Tests like PT,APTT and clotting factor assays can tell about haemophilia.
You must talk to your doctor and then get the relevant investigations done after discussing with him.
Doesn't look like HIV.
Thanks
Follow up: Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 14 minutes later
Thank you Doctor Paven XXXXXXX XXXXXXX I have just taken a battery of blood tests this morning and will see my doctor this evening at 6pm so I will know at that time.

I live in France, so things like blood tests and doctors appt. are quickly and easily managed.

I appreciate greatly you valued input.
Kindest regards,
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 19 minutes later
You are most welcome to ask any query anytime.
Thanks
Follow up: Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 3 hours later
I was taking the day off waiting for my blood results and seeing my doctor in 5 hours.

Had a few minutes to inspect myself a bit more completely and noticed slight yellowish bruises on both my right and left arms. Does this add to the equation?
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 3 hours later
It doesn't add any thing.Anyway let us wait for the results.
Thanks