Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
144 Doctors are Online

Protruding veins on the forehead. Removal options?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 78 Questions
I have large, swirly, pretruding veins on each side of my forehead. I have had them many years and they are always visible. They start at the top of my temple near the hairline and run downward and then around towards the area above my ear. They seem to be getting more prominent as I age. Is there a treatment available to remove them, such as the use of lasers or some other medical treatment.

Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Beauty & Cosmetics
Answered by Dr. Gowri Kulkarni 2 hours later

Thank you for posting the query.

The first thing we need to ascertain is whether the prominent blood vessel you talk about is a vein or an artery.

To bring some clarity to your problem I would like to know if you have any of the following symptoms:

Excessive sweating, fever, jaw pain that comes and goes or occurs when chewing, muscle aches, Pain and stiffness in the neck, upper arms, shoulders, throbbing headache on one side of the head or the back of the head, scalp sensitivity, tenderness when touching the scalp.

If yes, you might be suffering from Temporal arteritis.

You doctor might ask you to get a few investigations done to confirm the diagnosis which are CBC (complete blood count), ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate), CRP (C reactive protein), Liver function, Biopsy and histo-pathological examination of the artery.

The treatment for temporal arteritis is usually high dose oral corticosteroids. You should also ensure that you avoid smoking, take a calcium XXXXXXX diet, and continue to do moderate exercise.

The other case is, if it be a vein and that too cosmetically a large prominent vein, your vascular specialist can help you to surgically remove it after due examination.

My suggestion would be to get an appointment with a vascular surgeon for an evaluation.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.


Dr Gowri
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor