Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
190 Doctors are Online
Ask a Dentist   »  

Protruding front tooth, traumatic. Crown recommended?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 2565 Questions
hi, my front tooth is badly protruding through causing trauma, I have previously had braces and don't want them again, I have enough space for it to be pushed back in as there is a large space between the tooth and the one beside it, is there any way to straighten it without braces? I also was told my one dentist that getting a crown would work but would weaken the tooth so because so much tooth has to be destroyed in 15 years once it comes off it cannot be replaced yet another dentist is willing to do it and has not mentioned the fact it can only be crowned once, any opinions would be greatly appreciated!
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later

Thanks for your query.

I appreciate that you are dealing with a frustrating situation regarding your tooth and that braces are the last thing you want to go through again.

As far as a durable and relatively rapid fix for this situation, you could consider a dental implant. This would require actually pulling the tooth and then inserting a "post" which will anchor the new tooth. After the bone heals around the post and it is adequately fixed a dental specialist can then place a fresh implant which will fit anatomically quite well and help resolve the trauma you have been experiencing.

I would suggest you see an oral surgeon to discuss this option as they are the most skilled in this field. General dentists are good but an oral surgeon has trained for 4 years beyond dental school in complex surgical management of dental challenges.

I hope this reply has provided you with an adequate and informative answer to your query. Should you have additional concerns, I am available to address them.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dentist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor