Protein in urine. Will micoalbumin test help ?

Dr. Dilip Raja

Urologist

Posted on Fri, 25 May 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Protein in Urine... please help if you can
===========
I would really appreciated if someone can help me.
I recently had my yearly physical and they found protein in my urine. the results are 2+. Is this considered and abnormally high result? when the doctor called me he told me that it was a trace and when i got my results in the mail it said 2+. Is 2+ consider abnormally high? I guess them want to do a micoalbumin test. I called back and talked to the nurse and she told me it was just a trace of protein but everything i read online says its high :(
can someone please explain my test results? should i be concerned? been to every pharmacy looking for protein test strips :( cant find any. My urine test was done at a labratory not in the doctors office. please help if you can
Answered by Dr. Dilip Raja 16 hours later

In case of doubt I recommend my patients to repeat the urine analysis simultaneously at two separate laboratories.

Protein in urine is not normal. If it persists, please do your urine for micro albumin. You can also do 24 hours of protein estimation in the urine.

If the results are persistently positive, you need to consult a. Nephrologist. In that case you need to undergo proper evaluation after thorough investigations.

A laboratory report is better than a doctor's office report which is inturn better than protein strip method. So I advice to stop going to pharmacy and plan to repeat the urine protein at other labs.

Best wishes.

Dr Dilip Raja