Protected sex, open wound on penis. AIDS from vaginal fluid?

Dr. Jasvinder Singh

Posted on Sun, 30 Sep 2012 in HIV and AIDS
Question: i had protected sex with a woman but did not notice a open wound on the shaft of my penis what are chances of getting hiv/253657?iL=true" >aids from vaginal fluid. and how long should i wait to get a blood test for HIV if needed. What is percentage of getting aids from vaginal fluids with open sore.
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

There were high chances of transmission of HIV if you had unprotected intercourse with a woman when you were having an open sore on the penis.

Since you had protected sex with women you are on the safer side, but you will have to be sure whether the protection(condom,diaphragm) used did not have any tear or leak , since you had open sores.
HIV can be found in the blood, semen, pre-seminal fluid or vaginal fluid of a person infected with the virus. The lining of the vagina can tear and allow HIV to enter the body. Direct absorption of HIV through the mucous membranes that line the vagina also is a possibility.

Although males as recipients are at less risk, yet HIV can enter the body of the male through the urethra (the opening at the tip of the penis) or through small cuts or open sores on the penis.

There is no exact percentage of such cases which have got infected from vaginal fluids when having an open sore on penis, but CDC (centre for disease control and prevention) has clearly stated that specific fluids (blood, semen, vaginal secretions, and breast milk) from an HIV-infected person can transmit HIV. These specific fluids must come in contact with a mucous membrane or damaged tissue or be directly injected into the blood-stream (from a needle or syringe) for transmission to possibly occur.

HIV testing is done with a blood test and is done in full confidentiality. The blood is first tested by ELISA test which is a screening test which looks for antibodies in the blood. Then if it is positive then Western blot test is done to look for specific proteins of HIV. So confirmation is only done by specific tests for HIV like western blot, PCR and ELISA. These tests may show accuracy after 6 weeks to 6 months as HIV antibodies take time to develop in the body.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Radhika