Protected penetrative sex, unprotected oral sex. Can I get STD infection while having HIV negative?

Dr. S. Murugan

HIV AIDS Specialist

Posted on Mon, 4 Feb 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: Hello doctor..

I've had certain partners in the last year till last week ( three women and two TSs ) that happened in different periods of time. All of my sexual relationships were protected by condoms. However, I've given and gotten oral sex with some of them. Even thought, I haven't had or felt any symptoms so far, I decided today to check up just to make sure. I did check up and I'm HIV negative, but the other STD infections' results, included Hepatitis B and C will be known in 7 to 10 days. So my question is/ Can I get any STD infections or any type of Hepatitis while I'm an HIV negative?
I know that everyone could say with full confidence just wait till you receive the results except you doctor because you're the only one who is informed about how this wait is extremely harsh.

Thanks in advance.
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 2 hours later

With protected penetrative exposures and unprotected oral sexual intercourse the possibility of HIV, Hepatitis and other STDs are rare. So far, you had no symptoms of STD in the form of ulcers, sore throat or vesicles, so you need not worry about Major STDs.
You didn't mention whether someone ejaculated in to your mouth. If it is so, there is a possibility of Hepatitis is there. Also, if you had oral sex near anus, then also hepatitis is possible.
But the chances are very little.
Let me know if you have more questions
Wish you good luck.

Dr S.Murugan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 1 hour later
Thanks doctor for your responding, which made me a littlte bit comfortable. I didn't mention about ejaculation and oral sex anus because these activities didn't happen.
So how percent to get Hepatitis in this case?
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 6 hours later

Welcome back with follow up questions.

Very nice to hear that oral ejaculation and anal sex did not happen. The chances of getting Hepatitis of all types are also almost nil.

Be cheerful. You will not have any type of STDs, HIV or Hepatitis.
Once again good luck to you.

If you do not have any more questions, please do close the discussion and write a review.

Dr S.Murugan

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 1 hour later
Thank you very much Dr. S. XXXXXXX I am %100 feel happy after your responses. I only have two questions now and I promise you that they will be the last.

1/ Do you think it's enough to be tested for an HIV, which I did as I mentioned in the first question, after 5 days from my last sex relationship? Do you have any doubt about result accuracy, or I should take couples month or more to make a confirmatory test? I got the result immediately after 10 minutes from taking my blood ( I don't know what type of an HIV test is this ) but it could be the rapid test.

2/ Let's imagine that the result for an STD or Hepatitis is positive, how long do you think the medical treatment will be, specially, if one of those infections were detected in the beginning/earlier?

Thanks and I'm sorry for my multiple questions.
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 14 hours later
You are welcome to come with new questions.

1.Actually HIV test done after 5 days of a risky contact will not be sufficient even if it is antigen test. Better to be repeated after 3 weeks with an antigen test, if not 3 months after with an antibody test. If you are 100% sure that you had all your contacts with protection, you can skip these test with confidence. If you have little doubt it is better to have repeated.
2. STDs and Hepatitis are many in number. With some a single statum dose may be sufficient while with others it may need a week, 3 weeks or more according to the disease and its severity. As these possibilities are very remote,you need not worry and it is better consult your physician and he will guide you in this regard.

I hope that all your doubts cleared. All your test results will calm you with negative results.
Dr S.Murugan

Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 37 minutes later
Thanks doctor.. I appreciate your help.
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 1 hour later
You are welcome.

If there are no further questions let us close this conversation. I would appreciate your feed backs about this service too.

Good luck
Dr S.Murugan

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad