Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
164 Doctors are Online

Prostatmegaly with anechoic mass showing thin septations seen in the retroperitoneum. Chances of getting cured?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1995
Answered : 527 Questions
Prostatic Ductal Epithelium 5.0*12.3 cm sized anechoic area with thin septations seen at the right renal bed.Prostatmegaly with Anechoic mass showing thin septations seen in the retroperitoneum in the right renal bed with mild right hydronephrosis.Please let me know what are the probability of this getting cured.Kidney is normal in condition.
Posted Sat, 20 Apr 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 26 hours later
The question here is - does this need a cure. Anechoic areas in the renal area are so common (we call them cysts) in general population over the age of 40 years, that only a few of them need to be rigorously examined, and a classification of cysts has been made to find out which are the ones which need follow up on a regular basis, and which need no further discussion. This is called Bosniak System, and it looks like you could be having a type 2 cyst, which is usually benign, and not likely to cause trouble in the near future.
The one really good way of finding if you have a Type 2 cyst or something else is by means of a CAT Scan with a CT Urogram at a good radiological centre, especially considering that there is mild hydronephrosis of the kidney which means a swelling of the system which collects urine. This can be done easily if your kidney function is normal as you have said, which is assessed by means of a simple blood test (Serum Creatinine).
I doubt if you need to be worried regarding your prostatomegaly as it is common in practically every male over the age of 40 years, and needs to be evaluated in individuals who have difficulty in urination like increased frequency of urination, or urgency or getting up more frequently at nights to void. Some urologists prefer to have a test called Serum Prostate specific Antigen in all males over the age of 50 years to detect any latent malignancy, but this is controversial, and needs to be discussed with your family doctor before testing.
Hope I have been able to help you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor