Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
151 Doctors are Online

Prolonged menstrual period, took Dicynone 500, urinalysis, cervical erosion. Cancer?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1990
Answered : 232 Questions
I just came from my follow-up check-up of my prolonged mestrual period. For the record my period stopped on the 25th day last 20th of XXXXXXX 2011 which has been going on for 3 months. First month 17 days, second month 21 days and now May for the third month 25 days. It stopped on the 7th day after taking Dicynone 500. Mt OB said reviewing my CBC HB 1.8; PCV 41.4; RBC 4.56; MCV 90.8; MCHC 31.0; TLC 8.74; NEUTROPHILS 65.5; LYMPHOCYTES 27.5; MONOCYTES 27.5; BASINOPHILS 2.59; BASOPHILS 1.25; PLATELET COUNT 483. My OB also sent me today for a URINALYSIS because I told her that when I urinate there is a bit of pressure on my lower abdomen. As well I urinate every 3 to 4 hours which I though to be normal. I drink about 2 to 3 liters a day of liquid water and tea only. My OB said there is no need for a D and C because my period resonded to medication. But I came accross an internet article in emedicine that high in platelet count is an early sign of cancer i.e. lung, breast, or fear is that waiing for my next period will it be the same? I shall take my hormonal test which you suggested on the second day of my next period. Which are the blood works or tests you can suggest for me to take to rule out my fear of cancer? my first degree cousin had cervical cancer 20 years ago and she survived until today...she said she had pain with the prolonged period but I had 0 pain at all. She also bled from her rectum. I also had cervical erosion last 2008 and 2009 due to douching which cleared up in 2010 in my last PAP Test.
No more douching for me for 2 years now.
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Chetna Jain 22 hours later

Thanks for your query.

Any Abnormal period needs to be investigated.

You need to undergo a Trans Vaginal ultrasound scan ( TVS ) of the Uterus and adnexa.

If you are above 40 yrs of age, I would suggest an Endometrial biopsy( EB) as well.

Hormonal profile is not required currently.

PAP smear need to be done annually for all sexually active women between 20-64 years.

A Mammogram should also be done annually for women over 35 yrs of age.

If your TVS and EB are normal, you may take simple medications to reduce bleeding.

If you are fit to take contraceptive pills, they also control bleeding well.

But all these should be taken after at least TVS and if over 40 Yrs an EB.

High platelet count is not indicative of cervical cancer.

You may also do an HPV testing and if below 45 yrs of age, you can take
cervical cancer vaccine after PAP smear.

You must verify this with your gynaecologist,who can examine you to exclude any
contraindications for the above.

Hope my information will be beneficial to you.

I will be available for your follow up queries if any.

Wishing you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor