Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
141 Doctors are Online

Prolapse around his g tube site. had it removed but pain persists. Use antibiotic cream and a split gauze?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1528 Questions
my son has prolapse around his g tube site and it was pulled out earlier today. The prolapse causes discomfort in and of itself, but together with the replacement issue today, he is having pain at the site. Can I use triple antibiotic cream with pain reliever there and a split gauze btw the prolapse and the tube to ease some of the pain?
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 3 hours later

Thanks for posting your query.

I assume that your gastroenterologist has examined the lesion and diagnosed it as a prolapse.

Usually the prolapse should not be painful or tender and should be occasionally intermittently going inside on it's own. If it is associated with granulation tissue (replacement tissue) or infection then it may cause pain and tenderness.

If you can see granulation tissue and no signs of infection like, pus, active bleeding, increasing swelling etc then the pain is most likely due to the healing process causing granulation tissue formation. In that case, you can apply the topical cream like the one you have or as prescribed by your surgeon and a clean gauze at the site to relieve the pain.

If you see any signs of infection or the prolapse increases and pain persists, then please consult your surgeon for checking the g tube site and starting appropriate treatment.

Hope I have answered your query.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor