Problem of getting sound like roaring of fountain and slowly losing hearing. Hear metallic sound for any conversation

Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist

Posted on Thu, 5 Sep 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I had a problem in the left ear sound like roaring of fountain and slowly losing hearing. I hear low dumpen metallic sound for any conversation instead of normal conversation in my left ear. Right ear is ok.
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Tinnitus, Hearing Loss Lt. Ear, Diabetes, BP

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. The sound that you here is known as Tinnitus. There is no cure for Tinnitus, however it may be controlled. It is a very common occurrence.

2. Since there is a distortion of hearing in the Left Ear, get an ear examination along with a Pure Tone Audiogram (PTA) and an Impedance Audiogram (Tympanogram) done.

3. Uncontrolled diabetes and blood pressure may damage the delicate nerves and blood vessels through out the body and especially the eye and ear, leading to hearing loss and Tinnitus. Hence urge your physician to help bring these conditions under control as soon as possible. This will prevent worsening of ythe hearing loss and Tinnitus.

4. If you have a hearing loss, amplification of hearing will help mask the Tinnitus (noise) during the day.

5. Common tinnitus therapy includes ginkgo biloba, multivitamins and antioxidants.

6. Trans-tympanic steroids and Caroverine Injection and Capsules (Tinnex) are effective in some patients.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.