Prior to Oct. 12 I only had occasional swelling in

Dr. Hari Charan Perigela

General Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 30 Jan 2019 in Lump
Question: Prior to Oct. 12 I only had occasional swelling in lower legs and ankles. After a fall I suffered injury infection requiring large doses of antibiotics. I was in hospital from 10/12 to 10/18. After two days I had sever shortness of breath and massive swelling in arms and legs and had large doses of lasik intraveniously. Since that time my water/liquid retention has been a problem. I am wearing compression elastic on legs.

What can I do to lessen the problem. I am 85 old male, in otherwise good health.
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
The diagnosis should be confirmed.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to Ask A Doctor service.

I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

As per your description,there was edema of lower limb followed by upper limb swelling.
Exact cause of the swelling should be identified. Whether it is due to Cellulitis or Deep vein thrombosis or Heart failure etc.
Various investigations like Colour Doppler of the limbs, ECG, Echocardiogram etc will help in the diagnosis.
What was the Diagnosis as per your treating Doctor?
If possible, please attach your Discharge Summary and your reports in The Reports section.

Nothing to worry.
Please come back with your reports and Discharge Summary.

Hope I answered your query. If you have any questions,I will clarify further.
Wish you good health

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj