Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
163 Doctors are Online

Preventive measures to control BP and sugar at 41 years of age?

User rating for this question
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 9400 Questions
What should be the preventive care to be taken to keep BP and Sugar levels within control after the age of 41?
Posted Fri, 28 Jun 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 47 minutes later

Thank you for writing to us.

Before starting I would like to clarify whether or not you have been diagnosed with high blood pressure (hypertension) or diabetes (blood sugar related condition)? As you have not mentioned it in your history, I shall assume you are healthy and do not have the above mentioned conditions.

To start, both these conditions usually have a genetic predisposition, i.e. if your parents or close relative have it, you are a higher risk of developing these conditions.

But, keeping family history aside, the following measures can make sure you live healthy:
-Stress (avoid stress, by practicing relaxation techniques)
-Regular check ups (every 6 months; will ensure early diagnosis and treatment, to completely avoid these conditions)
-Regular exercise (walking, jogging, sports, for at least 30 minutes, 5 days a week)
-Weight management (if you are over weight, it is best to lose the excess weight)
-Diet (avoid over eating, eat in small portions, eat healthy, less sugar containing products, low-salt containing products, more fruits and vegetables, etc.)
-Weight watching (check your weight everyday, so you can accordingly plan your exercise and diet for the day)

Basically, the bottom line is your lifestyle, diet and genes. If all are well balanced, then there is little chance you could be diagnosed with any of the above conditions, or similar ones.

I hope I have succeeded in providing the information you were looking for. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would gladly help you.

Best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor