Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
181 Doctors are Online

Pressure in groin area and numb testicle. Feeling uncomfortable. Should I be concerned?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1995
Answered : 527 Questions
I'm a 39-year old generally male. For about a week, my right testicle has been numb. There's also some pressure on the right side of my groin, maybe slightly into my right thigh.

I went to a GP, who said he had no idea what it could be, but was not concerned about anything particularly serious. Still, it's numb, uncomfortable, etc., slight pain but just 1 on a scale of 10. He suggested I just wait and see what happens. However, I made an appointment with a urologist--but it's not for 6 days. I'd like to get an idea what this might be, what questions I should ask, etc.

Of the things the GP ruled out: First, I'm 100% sure I don't have any kind of STD. Second, the GP said he felt no lump or anything suggesting cancer. He also said that if it were testicular torsion I'd be in a lot more pain. A physician assistant who checked me out thought maybe it might be a hernia but the GP disagreed.

Any ideas? Discomfort-wise I can wait for the specialist, but is there anything I should be concerned about and rush to a hospital?
Posted Mon, 20 Aug 2012 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 1 hour later
From what you have mentioned, I would tend to agree with your GP.There is probably no serious urological problem. This should be easily confirmed with a clinical examination by a urologist, and if required a simple ultrasound examination of your scrotum to ensure blood supply is normal.
However, there is a possibility that the nerves exiting from the spine are getting compressed due to a disc prolapse and once in a while the presentation could be similar to what you have experienced. So if the urologist says everything is fine, then you might have to head to a neurologist.
Please let me know what's the impression of the urologist whom you will be meeting and we can take it from there.
Regards and best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor