Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Pressure and crackling sound in the jaw. Have constant tinnitus. Advice?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 540 Questions
For a few months now, I feel a pressure in my jaw. When I puff out my cheeks air (fluid?) moves around and pushes itself to that area and then there are all these little crackles of air. It makes noise that those sitting next to me can hear. I have no idea if this is XXXXXXX or what it is. It started happening very shortly after I quit smoking cold XXXXXXX It is the most intense and the most air movement right after I wake up. I've also developed really bad constant tinnitus for a little over a year now. I remember this air-in-cheek/jaw thing happening a few times when the week the tinnitus first started but hasn't happened again until a few months ago. When it started happening again, the tinnitus got much louder and worse. I assume (hope) they are somehow all related. Any advice or answers would be much appreciated - thank you!
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 59 minutes later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

Pressure and crackling sound most probably may involve the temporomandibular joint between the jaw and ear. The tinnitus that you had since long would be associated with these sounds due to the fact of close proximity between these two.

I would suggest you to get an ENT specialist consultation and undergo the required investigations for now. Chronic tinnitus has many causes and would take a prolonged expert review to get to the cause, even if it is not affecting your lifestyle majorly.

I can only speculate that all the sounds that you feel in the jaw region is the outcome of the increased change in intensity of your long standing tinnitus. And all these would cease if your tinnitus is attended to. You may be kept on oral tablets initially pending investigations. Its time you saved some money aside for a good doctor's consultation.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.


Dr Sujeet N Charugulla, MBBS, MD
Consultant Physician.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Pressure and crackling sound in the jaw. Have constant tinnitus. Advice? 10 hours later
Thanks for your answer, however, I guess I should have mentioned that I have already been to an ENT and an Oral Surgeon. The ENT (who also sent me for an MRI of the ear) found nothing and the Oral Surgeon said it did not appear to be TMJ disorder of any kind.
The tinnitus is indeed affected my life in a major way and it's very hard to cope, hence, why I am here, hoping for a better answer or some enlightenment as all you have mentioned has already been investigated by me and all the doctors that have cost thousands and have been unable to help me. I don't feel like the air/fluid pockets in my jaw/cheek area is a direct cause of the tinnitus at all, though I wouldn't be surprised if the tinnitus was a cause of the air/fluid and so I'm trying to figure out what that is first! Any ideas?
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 32 minutes later
Thanks for the reply.

I can understand your anguish with the allopathic system of medicine which has failed to cure your tinnitus. Yes, prolonged cases have no specific management in modern medicine. If your examining doctors have not been able to help in spite of an MRI, I do not come close to telling you if those fluid pockets in your jaw and tinnitus are inter-related or not.

I would suggest that you try ayurveda (ancient Indian system) or Chinese traditional medicine for this. Many preparations of them have not been vastly tested like many drugs, but they many have promising therapies that have been borrowed into allopathy. So, having those MRI findings at hand, you have nothing to lose by getting a good consultation and their medicines.

A good one in India and the oldest is Aryavaidyashala. You can contact a specialist ayurveda doctor by phone first. Alternatively, you can post your query for an ayurvedic specialist on this website.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Pressure and crackling sound in the jaw. Have constant tinnitus. Advice? 46 minutes later
Thanks for your suggestions. I have tried it all - Acupunture, alternative therapies, change in diet etc..with no results. I really just want an answer to what is the cause of the air/fluid moving around my face.
I understand if you can't provide me with one as no one has been able to yet.
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 2 hours later
Thanks for the reply.

Alternative therapies are different and may not work in tinnitus, I spoke to you about a specialist experienced in Ayurvedic therapy dealing with nervous disorders, who are available only at specific locations in the world. Ofcourse you cannot do this online. It would cost you for tickets if you come to India and not for actual treatment.

You need a telephonic review with them first.

Yes, I only attempted to guide you, without any quick fix solution from me as you must have realized by now that tinnitus is still a noted medical mystery till date.

Wish you best of health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor