Prescribed with zofram for severe vomiting and diarrhoea. Black spot on liver is larger. Is this a usual dose of Zofran?

Dr. Prasad

Posted on Tue, 19 Nov 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hi:
I have been prescribed zofram 4mg one tablet every 6hours...for severe vomiting and dirarea
I have had several abnormal images on all the diffent scans I have had and more are comiong to watch it.
Is this a usual dose for an adult. I have been on this amount since mid augest. So, 9 or ten weeks. I still have had continuoes nusea and diararea and I still have to vomit. When I do eat a little of food...well some food, I will eat some but if I eat something I would have normally ate before this hit...I get dirarea ... And I mean..Do I I have to go really uncontrollably. I have not made it just as fast and had the stuff on my underrwaare And it is thick laced,
In Aug. the 5th..Suddenly I had to vomit and I was in my car parked to eat a sandwitch before I drove. I didn't even take a bite and I had to open my door and put bag after bag..not full but enough I have plastic bags to hand back for trash.I could not llift my head from the steernign wheel. I had to find the perforation for each bag by feeling it and try to find the end to open it. I kept opening my door and setting anoter bag out..I couldnt raise my head adn I couldn't find the swich to turn the windshield wipers off. For the life of me i could not raise my head... for three solid hours ..then I barely started to a little adn could reach my phone to call a friend This; all began at 7pm and I could't drive home until 2 am I was so sick and I have had this diarrea still and it runs like a faucet it is so bad.
I feel nausus right now.. I have not had relief from it since Aug. 5th.
The black spot on my liver is the size of larger than a quarter.
Is this a usual dose of Zofran?
I know there could be a possiblily of cancer originating from somewhere else ... My 52 yearr old sister Is dying of cancer right now..
She is full of it.. Started in her lungs and was in her bones when they fouind it, four tumours in her brain now.
My mom died of cancer at the very same age.

My sister a year younger than me had congestive heart failure at 47 Just a fyi..
I am not feeling too worried about that.. I jsut wasnt to feel betteer
Iguees I have shared quite a bit.
I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Thank you so much for this service as a gift to us who
would like a bit of information.
This is very kind of you.

Thank you again.
Sincerely,

Darylene XXXXXXX XXXXXXX Nebraska
Serveyd by Gallop this year again to be one the
best
communities to live in .. in the United States
Population 220,000
Arts, Husker Football, Legened XXXXXXX Osborne who coached the Nebraska Cornhuskers and was
and still is a steller man.
Low crime rate
Auntraponers staring up succesful busines frequently. We support them.
We have turned miles and miles of old railroad tracks into bike and walking trails where you go where you would never could ever before.
Groomed and beautiful.it!

State parks
We have it. Visit us. It will be worth it. I gurantee it
Thank you again.

Sincerely
Answered by Dr. Prasad 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes, that's the right dose...

Detailed Answer:

I understand recurrent vomiting and loose stools is affecting your lifestyle.

Zofran (ondansetron) is normally prescribed as 4mg pills every 6-8 hourly. You are on the right dose. But I wouldn't suggest my patients to take this for months. I would rather evaluate my patient's with persistent vomiting and determine the cause and treat it (if possible).

From your history, I do not find any reasons for recurrent vomiting definitely nothing to suggest this is from cancers. You should talk to your treating doctor to understand the reason for this persistent vomiting. I might be able to help you if you can provide the list of test performed yet.

Sensation to pass stool after a meal is seen in quite a few people with irritable bowel. The urge to pass stool is brought in by involuntary reflex which can be controlled with behavioural modification, dietary and lifestyle changes. Long term medications is acceptable to treat this urge.

In brief, I definitely feel there is zofran every day is the answer to your problem. We can discuss further once I know your complete details.

And yes, US is a good country. You should sometimes also visit India if possible. You will definitely relish the experience.