Prescribed with miralax for unlimited time. Need opinion

Dr. Basheer Ahamed

Diabetologist

Posted on Tue, 19 Nov 2013 in Constipation
Question: My (new to me) Colon and Rectal doctor has told me to use Miralax for an unlimited future time (17 gm per day). He claims it is not addictive or habit-forming or harmful in any way if taken daily.

The Miralax label and web site say "use for no longer than 7 days.

Should I get a second opinion or what?

XXXXXXX XXXX

Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Used for occasional constipation.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for your query.

MiraLax(Polyethylene glycol) is indicated in occasional(Irregular) constipation.
So it should be used for a maximum of 7 days at a time. It may take 1 to 3 days to bring about normal bowel movement.

It is not recommended in a patient with renal disease and as to take it under the supervision of a doctor.

So I differ with your doctor's advice of taken it for an unlimited time.

In my opinion it is recommended to go for a second opinion.

Hope the answer helps you.
Let me know if there is any clarification.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E