Prescribed with LVP500 for tonsillitis and having rashes on face and chest. Is it a side effect?

Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

Posted on Mon, 25 Nov 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: My husband was diagnosed with tosilitis yesterday and they have prescribed him LVP500 which he has been taking for the last 48hours. Tonight he has just broken out in a red rash over his face and upper chest. Is this a reaction from the medication? Should we do anything immediately?
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 16 minutes later
Brief Answer: Side effect of medication Detailed Answer: Hi, A late reaction to the medicine. They are not serious most often. It is better to stop the medication and visit the doctor for alternate antibiotics. I guess LVP 500 is a penicillin group, is it? They have several reports of such rash after using such antibiotics. I hope he is not consuming alcohol during this antibiotic period. Apply caladryl lotion over the rash and take antihistamine medication like Claritin. Hope this helps.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli