Prescribed norethisterone for unusual spotting. Scan showed fibroid. What should be done?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 26 Dec 2012 in Women's Health
Question: i have been prescribed norethisterone as i have been having unusual spotting/bleeding for just over 2 weeks now. it is very dark brown in colour and it is not the usual "between periods" bleeding. normally when i have a period, i bleed for about 5 days and it stops pretty much straight away. my GP initially thought it might be an usual case of thrush - except there was no smell - and prescribed me with fluconazole 5 days ago. This hasn't changed anything. i went to my local A&E hospital as my GP is not great with getting prompt appointments and he prescribed me with Norethisterone to stop the bleeding but reccomended me to get an ultrasound. The A&E doctor did a simple XXXXXXX check with a clamp type contraption and he said my vagina walls looked fine but reccomended the ultrasound to get a closer look at my uterus which is where he reckons the bleeding is coming from. His opinion is that it might be fibroids. More than anything I'd like a second opinion or what your diagnosis is. This is really weighing heavy on my mind. I am a 29 year old sexually active female but always use protection. Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 37 minutes later
The mild brownish spotting that you are having is likely to be due to a uterine or cervical cause like uterine polyp, cervical dysplasia, chronic cervicitis, cervical polyp, vaginal bacterial infection, dysfunctional uterine bleeding. etc.
To find out the cause, you need to go for a PAP smear and a lower abdomen ultrasound scan.
In case no pathology is detected, then dysfunctional uterine bleeding is likely which can be taken care of with the hormonal therapy like norethisterone.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 hours later
can i just check if i should still be taking my cilest tablets with the norethisterone?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
If you are already taking cilest pills regularly then you should continue with them as stopping the pills will cause an increased bleeding.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.