Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
200 Doctors are Online

Prescribed nifuroxazide for IBS or spastic colon. Suggest alternate medicine

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 3094 Questions
I have IBS or Spastic colon was prescribed nifuroxazide but can not find it in Canada ,any replacement or suggestion
I am presently in montreal Canada . Thanks is Flagyl available.
Posted Tue, 7 May 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 5 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,

Nifuroxazide is an anti bacterial / anti diarrhoel agent. This drug is marketed under various brand names, that might differ in various countries. It's French acronyms commonly are Bacterix, Diarmonis and Ediston. All of them do have the same Nitrofuroxazide as active ingredient. You might have to ask the drugs under these names to your pharmacist or supplier.

Flagyl is mainly Metronidazole which is widely available in every country. However, consuming any of these drugs deserve a clear prescription from a medical doctor or professional. This is especially important as these are antibiotics, and might need to be prescribed in different doses under different circumstances, have particular indications and side effects, which are taken into consideration by the physician during the process of prescription. Monitoring of the patient is also gained when patient follows strictly these prescriptions.

In case you continue facing difficulties in obtaining these drugs in your local pharmacies, you might need to consult your primary care physician for his second opinion on what to do.

Best regards,
Luchuo, MD.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor