question-icon

Prescribed morphgesic tablets. Taking laxative laxido for constipation. How long will they take to work?

Posted on Thu, 20 Jun 2013
Question: prescribed 30mg and 10mg morphgesic tablets every 12 hrs/also taking laxative laxido for constipation took 6 sachets between 1pm and 3 pm how long do they take to work
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger (2 hours later)

Thank you for your query.

Laxido is a laxative that works by drawing water into the bowel and helping the passage of the bowel contents. The Morphgesic tablets you are taking are likely to be contributing to your constipation. The usual dose of Laxido for constipation is up to 3 sachets a day and it would usually take up to 4 hours to work. If you have not had result after 6 sachets then any more may not work.

I would suggest that you drink plenty of water over the next 24 hours. Up to 3 liters if possible. This will ensure you are well hydrated and the laxative will have its best chance of working.

Include some roughage in your meals such as fresh fruit and vegetables. You didn't mention why you were on morphine but, if possible, reducing the dose may help your constipation.

I hope this advice is of help. Please do not hesitate to ask for any further clarification if needed.

Dr K A Pottinger,
MBChB
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Kerry Pottinger

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist