Prescribed Olimelt for delusional disorder. Does it cause sleepiness? Alternative treatment?
Welcome to Health Care Magic
Delusion is basically false, firm belief that is unshakable. It can occur either as a part of some Psychotic disorder like Schizophrenia in which delusions of prosecution, reference etc are seen. Delusion of Jealousy or Morbid Jealousy is also a type of delusion. It is mainly seen in persons who take excess amount of alcohol. But it can occur in otherwise healthy individuals.
Olimelt is Olanzapine, it is a antipsychotic drug with proven results in delusional disorder also. It is an otherwise safe drug, but some side effects like sedation, increased appetite, weight gain, increased cholesterol etc. may be seen with olanzapine.
Now coming to your questions-
--It may cause sedation but it doesn’t result in hangover. 5 mg dose daily is not a very high dose and at this dose there are no serious side effects.
--Delusional disorder is a Psychotic disorder in which apart from things related to delusion the individual remains normal in most of domains. He functions normal in social, occupational and personal life. He is having isolated delusion only, otherwise he doesn't have any behavioral or mood problem.
--Yes this problem is curable. But proper use of right medicines for long time is must for treatment. Usually such patients refuse to accept their problem; they refuse to XXXXXXX a psychiatrist. So proper treatment is very challenging, but response is good with medicines.
--Other medicines like Quitiapine, Aripiprazole, Resperidone etc are also atypical antipsychotic drugs can be given for his condition. Psychosocial treatment as Psychotherapy by a trained psychologist has proven results.
Hope I cleared your doubt, if you have more questions you can ask again.
Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi MD
I have mentioned that apart from things related to delusion he functions normal in social, occupational and personal life. In his case his delusion (morbid jealousy) is related to personal front so he is different in this domain. Otherwise he will function normal in his personal decisions and judgements. He will appear normal to outside world.
Hope I cleared your doubt. If you are satisfied with conversation please review.
Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Delusional disorder causes
- What causes delusional disorder
- Diagnosis of delusional disorder
- Is jealousy delusional disorder curable
- Paranoid delusional disorder
- Treatment and cure for delusional disorder
- Is delusional disorder curable
- Suggest treatment for delusional disorder
- Symptoms of delusional disorder
- Delusional disorder treatment
- Numbness and tingling sensation in leg. Prescribed nurokind plus for...
- Have curved penis. Is there any solution for this?
- Cannabis and marijuana user. Stopped after mild stroke. Started getting...
- Does cipralex affect on sperm?
- Feeling lightheaded and started vomiting. Blood sugar normal. Is this...
- Got fungal infection on penis. Took cream. Having pain. Chances of...
- Taking medicine for diabetes and blood pressure. Facing erection...
- Have high bp, feeling cold and mentally disturbed. Prescribed oleanz. Is...
- Taking eltroxin for thyroid, sizodon and parkin for schizophrenia....
- Does omega-3 fatty acid supplement increase serotonin levels?