Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
189 Doctors are Online

Premature ejaculation, partial ED. Earlier taken medication for mild depression. Suggest medicine to cure it

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1999
Answered : 127 Questions
I am 33 years old male and married for last 8 years. I am suffering from premature ejaculation and partial ED for last 1 year. Earlier I was going through some tense life and was on mild depression drug for 4-5 months and stopped after that. Currently, there is no such tension but suffering from ED/PE most of the times. Please suggest any medicine to cure this before it reaches in advance stage.
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Erectile Dysfunction
Answered by Dr. A. CHAKRAVARTHY 1 hour later

Thanks for the query.

Premature ejaculation can be treated. The following are the treatment options:

1. Techniques: 2 techniques pioneered by Master and XXXXXXX are very useful in treating premature ejaculation. They include

(a) Stop & Re Start Method: Stop at a point just before you are about to ejaculate and restart foreplay and insertion. You may repeat this cycle again.

(b) Squeeze Method: Your partner squeeze the base of glands for a few minutes penis just before you ejaculate. Repeat the process again as required.

(c) Increased frequency of sexual activity can increase the ejaculation time as well.

2. Sex Therapy: Sex therapy is a form of psychotherapy integrating biomedical and psychosocial components in the treatment of sex. You can get the benefits of psychotherapy from a competent sexologist/Psychotherapist. Consider visiting one near your location.

3. De-sensitization. Use of desensitization products like Delay creams can benefit you to some extent.

4. Selective Serotonin Reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) drug like Tab. Dapoxetine have been tried in the recent years to treat premature ejaculation. It is more effective when taken 3 hours before intercourse. Your physician can prescribe it if needed.

The medicines for treatment of depression as well stress can lead to Erectile Dysfunction. It is advisable to talk to your psychiatrist about the alternative medicine for depression which has little influence on sexual function. Certain medicines belonging to the category of PDE-5 inhibitors like Tadalafil is found to be very effective in Erectile Dysfunction. Discuss with your physician; he/she can prescribe these drugs to you if needed.

It is advised to take precautions to avoid stress and involve yourself frequently in sex with your partner. You should soon be able to get back good sexual functions.

Hope I answered your query in detail. Still if you have more query or clarifications I am available for follow up.


Dr.A Chakravarthy
Consultant in Reproductive and Sexual Medicine
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Premature ejaculation, partial ED. Earlier taken medication for mild depression. Suggest medicine to cure it 25 hours later
Thanks a lot for answering.

I have already been following the stop and re-start method.

Just want to know is there any side effect or long term dependency in case I take Tab Dapoxetine? If no, then how long I need to take this medicine and any potency (mg) if any?

Currently I am not taking any depression medicine for last 14 months.

Similarly, any long term effect or dependency of tab Tadalafil? How much mg tablet should be taken, at what time and for how long?

Are herbal / Ayurvedic medicines (e.g. Ashvagandha or Charak) helpful in treating ED / PE?

Answered by Dr. A. CHAKRAVARTHY 21 hours later

Dapoxetine as well as Tadalafil are on demand medicines which can be taken only when it is really required. It is not an over the counter. Hence it may be prescribed by your family doctor. The dosage for these medicines are individualized as per the requirements of the patient. We start with minimal dose and incrementally correct the dose. So I do not think it is right to discuss the dose here without understanding your goals and expectations.

Yes there are few effects when you take a medicine for long term. However, doctors prescribe these medicines when the benefits outweigh the risks involved. Whether these medicines can have a direct risks or not can be understood when you follow up with the doctor who prescribed it.

Since I am a Modern Medicine doctor, ethically I am not supposed to comment on Ayurveda/Herbal/Homoeo/Sidha/Unani products.

Hope I gave you my best advice regarding your problem.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Premature ejaculation, partial ED. Earlier taken medication for mild depression. Suggest medicine to cure it 2 days later
Thanks for answering that. One final Query:

1. Would you be able to prescribe/advise any technique for ED as you have done for PE?

2. Any diet or vitamin which can help in ED?

Thanks, XXXXXXX Gaba
Answered by Dr. A. CHAKRAVARTHY 18 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX Gaba,

Thanks again,

The most common reason for erectile dysfunction is performance anxiety and stress. The technique for better sexual health is practicing yoga or meditation which reduces stress.

Sex Therapy is also very effective in erectile dysfunction.

Having healthy diet is important in maintaining good sexual health. Diet XXXXXXX in Vitamin E and L Arginine like meat, dairy products and poultry can be taken. Fruits are also essential for healthy life.

In addition, pelvic floor muscle strengthening exercise named as kegel's exercise which are known to improve incontinence as well as gain stronger erection might be helpful to you. The exercise is simple and involves contracting and relaxing the muscles which form the pelvic floor. Try holding urine while passing urine (micturition); the muscles that contract then are the pelvic floor muscles. Learn this act and practice it whenever free to strengthen pelvic floor and improve sexual functions.

Hope this was helpful. If you are satisfied with my answer and all your queries are cleared, please accept the answer and close this discussion.

Wish you good health.

Best Wishes
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Psychiatrist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor