Pregnant,oxytocin.Effects?

Dr. Robert Galamaga

Oncologist

Posted on Tue, 29 May 2012 in Abortion and Stillbirth
Question: 25, 5'4", 175lbs. im 7 weeks pregnant. no major medical history.
Follow up: Dr. Robert Galamaga 4 minutes later
will the drug oxytocin alone cause abortion? I work at a veterinary clinic and accidentally spilt some on myself.
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query,

Your question is a very good one and I will try to provide you with some good information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

You should have nothing to worry about from spilling oxytocin on your hand. It would not be absorbed enough systemically to contribute to a termination of a pregnancy.

As you likely know this drug is used in pregnancy to encourage uterine contraction and is given in an injected form. In your case this is not a concern for safety of the pregnancy or health of the baby. Your pregnancy will not be affected.

I thank you again for the query and hope my response serves to be adequate and helpful as well as reassuring. Should you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Sincerely,

Dr. Galamaga
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T