Pregnant, taking progesterone pills, folic acid and vitamin E. Getting headache. Medicine to take?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Mon, 28 Jan 2013 in Pregnancy
Question: My wife is approx 7 week pregnant. She is taking progesterone pills at the moment as well folic acid and vitamine E supplements.

Question:
As she is having headaches which medication should she be able to take w/o impacting the fetus/baby?
I have some Aspirin at home (I.e UPSA 500 and 1000 - French medicine). I understand aspirin is not really recommended. I hope to find a medication which could be found in China and as natural/organic ad possible. Please let be know your thoughts.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later

Thank you for posting your query.

Aspirin is generally not safe for use during pregnancy. It may increase the chance of bleeding and in addition, may adversely affect the growing baby's lungs and heart. However, it is occasionally used in small doses to treat certain medical problems in pregnant women. So, I would advise NOT to use aspirin during pregnancy.

The safest medicine for pain relief in pregnancy is acetaminophen (Tylenol) or paracetamol. It can be used in your wife's case now, and anytime later in pregnancy, if required.

Ibuprofen or naproxen can also be used in the first six months of pregnancy for treating headaches.

I hope it helps. Please get back, if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist