Pregnant and took augmentin instead of aminofit. Will it lead to any complications?

Dr. Sree Gouri SR

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 18 Nov 2013 in Pregnancy
Question: GM Doctor, my wife is 37 week pregnant, in my last visit to doctor suggest my wife to take CAP aminofit twice in a day but by mistake medical guy give her Augmentin 625 Tablets , she has taken 6 tablets , yesterday we cross checked the medicin and found that she was not taking correct medicin, so now we both are very much worried , please suggest is there any reaction on my baby or it will create any complications in the delivery,
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Category B drug in pregnancy

Detailed Answer:
Augmentin 625 belongs to category B drug in pregnancy.
Means animal studies have not shown any adverse effects on fetus and sufficient human studies are lacking.
Doctors usually prescribe this drug in pregnancy for infections etc.
And as your wife is in third trimester of pregnancy, by this time all organs of the baby might have formed.
So, by taking all these points into consideration, no need to worry about intake of these tablets.
It won't affect the delivery also.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer followup queries. If you are satisfied with the answer, please give your review at the end of the discussion.
Follow up: Dr. Sree Gouri SR 7 minutes later
Hello mam and thaks for replying on my query. as suggested by you there would not be any effects . one of my freind told me that it is very high anti bitec and it is very warm and without having any infection if my wife had taken it so it will not effect the timing of delivery my meaning is early delivery
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
May not lead to preterm labor

Detailed Answer:
Apart from causing general side effects like diarrhea, nausea etc as in general population, it may not have specific side effects in pregnancy.
Hyperactivity is a rare side effect of the drug.
So possibility of preterm labor is less.
Usually most of the drug will be eliminated in first 24 hours of intake.
So delivery may not be affected.