Pregnant and noticed pinkish fluid from swollen breast. What could be wrong?

Dr. Rhea Chanda

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 3 Dec 2013 in Pregnancy
Question: My sister is suffering from one swollen breast, it started swelling and gradually become large after weeks and very painful. The problem is she is 7 months pregnant and the doctors are saying they can do anything until she has delivered.It started leaking from monday with litres of pinkish fluid and they rushed her to the hospital, they did a boipsy and we are awaiting result. Now the liquid has built up again making it very painful and uncomfortable. What could be happening please help.
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 29 minutes later
Brief Answer: infection or abscess? Detailed Answer: Hello Chances are that there is some infection or abscess formation causing the swelling and pain . Especially since only one breast is affected. She should get an ultrasound of the breast to rule out any lumps. Pinkish discharge may indicate infection also. Await the results. If there is any infection then antibiotics will be required. In case there is any abscess formation then it needs to be drained. Any malignancy is unlikely since the onset is sudden .
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Rhea Chanda 48 minutes later
Thank you doctor, yes they did an ultra sound and they didn't find any lumps. So I believe it an infection, with the pregnancy can the administer antiboitics?
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 7 minutes later
Brief Answer: maybe Detailed Answer: In pregnancy, certain types of antibiotics can be given, under supervision. If there is severe infection, which should be the case here, antibiotics will be required. The swab test can indicate which antibiotic will he useful.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D