Pregnant. Why am I getting nosebleed when I am upset?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Sat, 9 Feb 2013 in Pregnancy
Question: Im 25 weeks pregnant and have been getting a few nosebleeds for a few days this week when I'm upset. Why would getting upset give me a nosebleed?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Spontaneous nose bleeds are seen most commonly due to dry nasal membranes. This is common in dry climates, or during the winter months when the air is dry and warm from household heaters.
Other causes may include allergic rhinitis, certain medicines like aspirin, upper respiratory infections, hypertension, alcohol abuse, etc.In pregnancy, it can be associated with a rise in blood pressure when you get upset.
I suggest you to get an appointment from your ENT surgeon for proper diagnosis and further treatment.
Till then put nasal saline drops to keep the nasal mucosa moist. Pinch all the soft parts of the nose together between your thumb and index finger if there is any bleeding. You can also lubricate your nose with A & D ointment, Mentholatum, Polysporin/Neosporin ointment, or Vaseline.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.