Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
136 Doctors are Online

Pregnant. Urine analysis showed trace of albumin. Is it normal?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12605 Questions
my wife urine analysis shows trace of albumin is it normal
she is 18 weeks pregnent.
will this affect the child.
kindly let us know
Posted Sun, 11 Nov 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 22 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query.
Traces of albumin in the urine at 18 weeks of pregnancy are not worrisome.
These are significant if it is associated with other problems like raised blood pressure or diabetes. You can keep a record of her blood pressure readings and get her stress test for sugar done to rule out diabetes.
In case the blood pressure is raised then renal functions and 24-hour urine protein needs to be assessed to detect the degree of renal function affection.
Right now it is not going to affect the mother or the child.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Pregnant. Urine analysis showed trace of albumin. Is it normal? 2 days later
Dr i have checked the BP it is 110/70 and Fast sugar is 85 and having glucose of 75 grs it is 108 .
wt is 53 Kg.
the urine test sample was fist urine for the day .

puss cell count was 6-8
urine was turbid
can u plz tell what further to be done .
is there any UTI.
kindly reply
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 18 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
The presence of 6-8 pus cells might be responsible for mild albumin in the urine. Since the blood pressure and blood sugar levels are normal, there is nothing to worry.
When the pus cell count in urine is more than 5 per Hpf chances of urinary tract being infected has to be considered.
Antibiotics have to be started empirically if there are symptoms of infection like fever, chills , burning urination, bodyache etc.

If there is no relief with the antibiotics taken then a urine culture sensitivity test has to be done to know the species of the bacteria affecting and the test also gives a list of antibiotics for which the organism is sensitive.Then starting the patient on those antibiotics will cure the infection.

Do consult her gynecologist for examination, confirm the diagnosis and necessary antibiotics.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Radiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor