Pregnant. Ultrasound showed gravid anterverted uterus with single intrauterine gestational sac. Any advice?
pog : 7.6 weeks
1.Gravid anterverted uterus with single intrauterine gestational sac in the mid cavity
2.Fetal pole or yolk pole not yet visualized
3.Single yolk sac seen
4.Thin decidual reaction seen
msd : 16mm correspoding to 6 weeks
No free fluid in pod
impresyion : single early intrauterine gestation of 6 weeks
ten days smaller than dates with evidence of low implantion
Please advise any problem in report
Thanks for writing to us.
There are a few controversial points in the ultrasound report of your wife.
1. If she was having regular 28-30 day cycles, and if her period of gestation according to her last menstrual period is 7.6 weeks, then this is absolutely not correlating to the sonogram obtained period of gestation,i.e., 6 weeks. There could be two possible reasons-- miscalculation of the last period or delayed ovulation OR a missed pregnancy-a pregnancy that has stopped growing.
2. As the size of the gestation sac is corresponding to 6 weeks, yolk sac and fetal pole should be seen in a trans-vaginal sonogram along with fetal heart beat, which is seen by the end of the 5th week. Nevertheless, as the mean sac diameter is good, a repeat ultrasound after 7-10 days usually is confirmatory. As the MSD reaches or exceeds 18mm., and if still there is no embryo seen, the pregnancy is an-embryonic or missed.
3. In view of low implantation, cervical or caesarean scar ( if there is a history of previous caesarean delivery) ectopic pregnancy should be excluded.
These are the possible things with the presently available ultrasound report, but a repeat ultrasound usually shows normal findings in many cases, so be positive.
Also allow her to take bed rest, plenty of fluids, avoid sexual intercourse and avoid stress. If this is an induced pregnancy, inform your gynecologist about the ultrasound report as she may need hormonal supplementation. Let her continue taking prenatal vitamins.
Hope I have clarified your doubts. If you have any further queries, please feel free to ask. I will be happy to help.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Blighted ovum gravid anteverted uterus with single intrauterine gestational sac
- Gestational sac on ultrasound
- What is meant by anteverted gravid uterus in ultrasound report
- Pregnant and ultrasound showed a poorly formed gestational sac
- Gravid uterus showing single gestational sac with no yolk sac
- Ultrasound shows 12mm gestational sac and 8mm embryo
- Gravid uterus showing gestational sac
- Ultrasound scan of gravid uterus
- Pregnant ultrasound says decidual reaction poor and uterus gravid advice
- Ultrasound scan uterus is anteverted and gravid