Pregnant. Ultrasound scan showed higher amniotic fluid index. Any complication involved?

Dr. Arif N Khan

OBGYN

Posted on Fri, 13 Dec 2013 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi, Last day my wife hadva ultrasound scan and it shows "liquor - polyhydramnios" and amniotic fluid index is 20. Is this normal ..or any complications involved. Present my wife is 33 weeks pregnant. Thanks, XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 36 minutes later
Brief Answer: Blood sugar evaluation and fetal monitoring must. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thank you for choosing XXXXXXX Amniotic fluid index more than 25 is considered as polyhydramnios, but still 20 is in higher side. Usually this is seen if there is high blood sugar levels, hence I advise to get a 75 grams GTT (glucose tolerance test) as early as possible. If the anomaly scan is previously done at 20 weeks and is normal, then there is not much to worry. If your wife is Rh negative blood group, then iso-immunization is a possibility. I presume her to be positive blood group. If everything is normal, then the cause will be IDIOPATHIC, where there is no exact cause for this increased liquor. I also advise to have regular fetal movement count checked, and follow up scans every 2 weekly till 36 weeks and weekly scans till 38 weeks. Depending on the fetal and maternal status termination can be planned. Please ask if you have more questions. If you are satisfied, please make sure that your ACCEPT my answer so that I receive credit. Good luck!!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj