question-icon

Pregnant. Total t3 is 2.69. Normal?

Posted on Mon, 10 Jun 2013
Question: My tsh and ft3 is normal. But my total t3 is 2.69 ng/ml and total t4 is 15. However i am also pregnant at 20 weeks. Is these test results considered normal or abnormal? Please kindly advice as i am very worried.

Thank you
Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde (1 hour later)
Hi there,
Your total t3 and t4 values are normal for pregnancy. Reference ranges for total t3 and t4 during pregnancy are 1.5 times of that during non-pregnant state. This is because of a protien known as TBG which causes the total hormone levels to be high although free hormone levels are normal. Its these free hormone levels that dictate the clinical status and since they aee normal in you there is nothing to worry about.
Shivaprasad
Dr. Rahul Tawde