Owl Image

Pregnant. Test showed increase in TSH level. Will this cause any harm to baby?

Question
hi my sister is pregent of 2 months and she have thyroid and now her thyroid level increase to 16.6 TSH is get any problem to her baby??

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 57 minutes later
Dear XXXXXXX,
TSH during pregnancy must be less than 2.5. High TSH means thyroid hormone levels in mother is less. Baby is dependent on mother for thyroid hormone for better part of pregnancy. Less thyroid hormone in baby due to less transfer from mother can sometime reduce the IQ of baby. This is the only problem we commonly see and it doesnt happen in all cases with high TSH. It happens in some babies only. My advice is to start thyroxine tablets immediately & continue atlesst till delivery to minimise any adverse effect on mother or baby. Dont worry unnecessarily. Hope this helps.
Shivaprasad