Pregnant. Test showed high TSH level. Any effect on pregnancy?

Dr. Rahul Tawde

Posted on Wed, 9 Jan 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: hi
i'm 4 weeks pregnant and my tsh levels are higher (6). will that affect my pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 24 minutes later
Dear XXXXXXX
TSH during 1st trimester needs to be less than 2.5 & less than 3 during rest of pregnancy. Very high TSH during pregnancy in mother can lead to reduced IQ in the cchild, but 6 is not that high. Even then you should start treatment rightaway & continue till delivery. TSH 6 means milder form of hypothyroidism only. So dont worry.
Shivaprasad