Owl Image

Pregnant. Test showed TSH 9.3mlU/L, T4 12pmol/L and T3 4pmol/L. Should I be worried?

Question
Hi Iam XXXXXXX Iam 6 wks pregnant.
I have a history of hypothyrodism.Currently am taking 75mcg thyroxine.
I did a thyroid function test last week and the results were...TSH 9.3mlU/L ,T4 12pmol/L ,T3 4pmol/L.
Iam concerned of these results and i need advice on how much medications i should take in order for my baby to get adequate amounts of thyroxine.

Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 4 hours later
Hello I would be happy to help your with your question.

Your TSH is still too high. It would be helpful to know the reference values for normal T4 and T3 levels for the lab that you are using, but based on that TSH the dose should be increased to 100 mcg and the levels rechecked in 6 weeks.

I hope this helps. Please ask if you have additional questions!

Follow-up: Pregnant. Test showed TSH 9.3mlU/L, T4 12pmol/L and T3 4pmol/L. Should I be worried? 30 hours later
The reference values for T3 are 3.9 - 6.8 pmol/L ,and T4 are 12-22 pmol/L.
TSH values are 0.27-4.2mU/L.

So does that mean i have to be on 175 mcg throughout my pregnancy, and keep on monitoring it.

Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 20 minutes later
Your TSH is elevated and both of your free thyroid hormone levels are at the low end of the normal range.

You stated before that you are on 75mcg of thyroid medication. Normally, this dose would be increased to 100mcg and rechecked in 6 weeks.

In answer to your question, YES you need to be on medication for the entire pregnancy. Normal thyroid function and levels are important for fetal development!