Pregnant. Taking Vitafol. Ultrasound scan done. Prescribed nufol. Is this multi vitamin tablet?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 15 May 2013 in Pregnancy
Question: Hello Doctor,
we went to ultra sound scan yesterday. Baby measured to be 7 weeks 3 days. According to LMP it is 7 Weeks 6 days. FHR is 155 B/M. CRL is 13 mm. Just wanted to check the progress of pregnancy with you. We were prescribed with Nufol tables.

Content of Nufol tablets:
Folic acid IP : 5mg
Methyl Cobalamin : 500mcg
Pyridoxine Hydrochloride IP : 10mg.

Can you suggest the purpose of this tablet. is this multi vitamin tablet? when i read on net i found it as Homocysteine Regulator. what is Homocysteine Regulator. My wife now using this tablet daily one and she is using Vitafol-One (US BRAND)

Vitafol-One Prenatal supplemnet with DHA contains following.
150mcg Iodine
1000 IU Vitamin D
plant source DHA
1mg Folic Acid
Gluten, Lactose and Sugar Free.

Can you please suggest equivalent Indian brand to Vitafol-one

Thanks in Advance.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
The growth of the baby as per the ultrasound scan report is normal.
A discrepancy of 3 days in growth is not significant. It can be due to a delayed ovulation or a machine error. Further follow up scans will help in detecting the rate of growth of the baby which is more important.
In India, the prenatal vitamins that are given during early pregnancy include folic acid- to prevent neural tube defects in the baby, biotin- to avoid defects like cleft palate in the baby, DHA- for fetal brain development.
Methylcobalamin and Pyridoxine are given to combat any B complex deficiency in the mother.
These prenatal vitamins are different from routine multivitamin tablets.
Homocysteine is an essential amino acid necessary for normal metabolism in our body. These vitamins also help in supplementing its function.
In India, you can get a separate preparation of DHA like MA-DHA or Folimust-D.
DHA is considered essential for a normal brain development of the baby.
Your wife can take these with Nufol tablets after consulting her gynecologist.
Iodine supplementation is not essential if the thyroid hormone levels are within normal limits.
Vitamin D supplementation is started along with calcium supplements after 14 weeks.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.