Pregnant. Suffering from diarrhea. Should I be worried?

Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Sat, 5 Jan 2013 in Pregnancy
Question: pregnancy and diarrheaI am 7 weeks pregnant and every morning for the past two weeks I have had this awful diarrhea. The odor and consistency is nothing I have ever had before and it happens like clock work either starting at 4 or 5 in the morning and I get up multiple times thereafter. Should I be worried and what can I do to let myself get a full nights rest?
Answered by Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh 2 hours later

Get your stool tested for routine examination and culture for any bacterial infection. If that is normal, then get stool examined for odd infections like giardia, amoeba. If any of these is positive, then we may need to treat accordingly.

Look for any pus cells or red blood corpuscles in stool which may suggest an infection or inflammation in intestine.

Keep yourself well hydrated take plenty of water and liquids like soups or juices.
Dont take medication empirically since you are pregnant.

Hope this answers your query.

Please do reply in case of any further questions.

Wish you a speedy recovery.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan