Pregnant. Started spotting, no cardiac activity seen. Taling fertigyn injection and duphaston. Miscarriage?

Dr. Shanti Vennam

OBGYN

Posted on Thu, 14 Feb 2013 in Women's Health
Question: Doctor Confirmed cardiac activity of the baby and said my wife is 6 weeks pregnant, My wife is now 8 weeks pregnant, and the Dr. today says that there is sack but no cardiac activity can be seen. Last week my wife had spotting and was advised complete bed rest was also given FERTIGYN 5000 injection along with DUPHASTON 1Omg tablets. But during our vist that they said the baby is fine. Today the Dr. says she needs one week to time to tell us the exact situation also hinted that it could be a miscarriage. Please help
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 25 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX,

As per the ultrasound report, since the cardiac activity which was observed earlier has been missing, it is most likely that the your wife has miscarried. Most often, genetic abnormalities cause a miscarriage in early trimester after a slight pain or a small bleeding without any hint.

The medication given was to supplement any hormonal deficiency, as is seen in majority of first trimester bleeds which subside with hormone supplementation and bed rest.

You should wait for another week as advised by your doctor as the sonogram can sometimes fail to notice weak cardiac movements and may be positive at a later stage. The doctor may also correlate the clinical findings and the sonographic findings with serum beta-hCG levels.

Hope I have clarified your doubts. If you have any further queries, I will be happy to help.

Shanti. V.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan